Renewable energy – promoting profitable agriculture with an Eco-Building
Farmers have always depended upon the sun’s energy to grow their crops and to produce food. However, there are many additional benefits to be gained from the power of sun. As the cost of conventional energy continues to escalate, solar power – the harnessing of sunlight and its conversion to electricity, can provide UK farmers with a sustainable and cost-saving alternative source of energy.
Following the introduction of the Government’s Zero Carbon policy, it has become increasingly important for new farm buildings to be designed to be as sustainable as possible and thanks to the extensive availability of roof space and land, farms are particularly well placed to benefit from photovoltaic (PV) solar panels.
If you are considering investing in a new agricultural building, there has never been a more opportune time to install PV solar panels.
A Graham Heath Eco-Building
Having recognised that there was an opportunity to help UK farmers tackle their spiralling energy costs, GHC formed a partnership with specialist commercial energy consultants, The Mikhno Group, to manufacture environmentally conscious buildings. The Mikhno Group have worked extensively with farmers and landowners across the UK and have an acute understanding of the energy challenges that you face.
- When you choose a GHC Eco-Building, we will not only design and manufacture your new agricultural building, but we will also install PV solar panels at the point of construction.
- Our comprehensive service includes the design, manufacture (including concrete panels) and erection of your agricultural building, plus a free on-farm energy resource assessment and solar panel installation.
Why convert to solar power?
- Significantly reduced energy costs*.
- A stable and predictable form of return.
- Improved energy rating of buildings.
- Reduced carbon footprint.
- Enhanced value of buildings and land.
- Energy independence.
- Low maintenance costs.
- Modest visual impact.
- Helps mitigate against potential reductions in subsidies.
How suitable are PV solar panels for your farm?
- Agricultural buildings such as livestock sheds, grain stores, barns, machinery sheds and dairy parlours present the ideal platform for solar PV panels.
- We install our panels with the highest level of care and never compromise the natural ventilation flow designed into our cattle sheds.
- We are fully compliant with the latest building regulations and governance surrounding the installation of electrical systems.
- When we design your building, we will ensure that is fabricated to meet the demands of a PV system and will include modifications such as stronger purlins and beams to account for the additional weight of the panels.
Funding and payback period
With PV solar panels you can reduce your electricity bill by up to 60% (*based on annual usage and consumption) and if you generate more electricity than you use, the surplus can be exported back to the grid tp provide an additional source of income. There are various purchasing options available, with each providing differing benefits:
- A great option if you have capital available to cover the initial setup costs.
- You will earn money on the excess energy that you generate.
- You will have the opportunity to take advantage of the Feed-in Tariff (FiT) and earn a tax-free income for the life of your panels.
Full or Part-Funded
- If you do not have sufficient capital available to make an outright purchase, various full and part-funding options are available from a PPA provider.
- Benefit from free electricity during daylight hours (depending upon your consumption) and no installation fees or maintenance costs.
- Hire purchase allows for the use of a Solar Panel System without capital expenditure on a term lease arrangement.
- The benefits include no significant setup costs, reduced electricity bills and a guaranteed income and eventually you will own the system.
- The cost and savings generated will depend upon the size of system and the quantity of electricity used.
Graham Heath Construction will be responsible for delivering every phase of your Eco-Building, from the initial site assessment, through to the design, project management and building erection. As part of this complete process, the solar panel installation will be completed by an experienced MCS accredited installation team from the Mikhno Group.
Interested in panels, but already have a Graham Heath Construction building?
Not a problem – we will work with you to implement a suitable retrofit plan.